We had a terrific Conversations Event last week led by James Spenceley (former CEO and founder of Vocus Communications....
.... which he grew from a $25m at listing to $5b before exiting) and Jon Brett from Stridecorp Equity Partners as our guest interviewer.
These are some of the questions that James dealt with during the formal proceedings:
- How & where did you learn what you needed to have the successful journey you had with Vocus?
- How did you fund Vocus?
- How do you hire & fire?
- Who do you trust to solve the big problems?
- What do you look for in investments?
- What do you look for in CEO's?
- Proudest moment? Low lights? What did you learn?
A few takeaway's...
- Vision, values and purpose are the key to every business.
- They work best when generated internally and are expressed in simple language.
- Success in a business is all about the team.
- Go to your team and empower them to solve the big problems for you. As CEO you don't need to have all the answers.
- “I'm really excited to work with people that have worked in a market for significantly long periods (i.e. >10yrs) and have plans for doing it better.They represent an opportunity for growth & investment.” More to come…
Next Conversations Event details are here.